gamerhang.myfreeforum.org Forum Index gamerhang.myfreeforum.org
A place where like-minded individuals who are into all types of mediums, and not just video games, can come to communicate and create!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Join! (free) Join! (free)
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The free forums are now under new ownership, a full announcement will be made shortly
The General Captain Gamer thread
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    gamerhang.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Captain Gamer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Please Register and Login to this forum to stop seeing this advertising.

Posted:     Post subject:

Captain Gamer
Digital Defender
Digital Defender

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: The General Captain Gamer thread  Reply with quote

Here was can start any aimless discussion relating to anything in a Captain Gamer medium that doesn't fit in specific events. From this thread we could possibly springboard ideas for many other threads down the line!

Last edited by Captain Gamer on Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Koji_Tsunami
Class Gamer
Class Gamer

Location: At the computer. Where else could I post on an online forum, a skatepark?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: In your sprite thread on the Bob and George forums, you had some characters, Colonel Gamer and Constable Gamer. Will these character ever be used for anything? Will one of them be a character in Digital Defender? What about OCC? They had really good designs,and I hate to see cool characters go to waste, so I was just wondering. Confused
Captain Gamer
Digital Defender
Digital Defender

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I love curiosity and speculation, direct questions like these, I'm afraid, are a little off-limits. Twisted Evil The only way you're going to find out about future characters and plots is by reading the updates as they come. You can ask, just to clarify, but all you'll get from me are sealed lips. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Skybait J
Consistent Gamer
Consistent Gamer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I want to know is why IDR hasn't been sued for copyright infringement yet. Razz
Konoko
Capstone Gamer
Capstone Gamer

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, before the villains, one could have argued that the companies mascots were getting such huge publicity that they probably should have been paying IDR as incentive to use more of theirs. So far, its been mostly Nintendo with a small bit of Sega...as for after the villains, its still ambivilant enough, and I suppose they could have gotten permission sometime between the scenes. That or they supercede such problems through legalities.
Since its a different realm of technology, not using a copyrighted game character in another game, but taking it completely out of it, making a simulacrum, an effigy, that happens to look the same...or the lack of commercial gain directly off the creations and instead off the technology that created them....
Yeah, I'm not sure, I'm not even an internet lawyer, just rationalizing and seeing if I can come up with a credible answer first. =P
Skybait J
Consistent Gamer
Consistent Gamer

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creating anything in likeness is copyright infringement, even if it's the real life charactor. Though maybe most people still believe that they're the actual charactors taken from the game world rather than created after them.
Konoko
Capstone Gamer
Capstone Gamer

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...true. Still plenty of opening, particularly during the period before the DK fight, Nintendo certainly could have given IDS permissions to use their characters, simply enjoying the free publicity and increased sales...after the later stuff with the villains, its a little harder to rationalize, but still...

As a mostly unrelated thought, if they realized a person, putting as much of their memories thoughts and feelings into it, would that not be similar to cloning? Creating a healthy bodied and younger digital realization of yourself...*looks at the Professor thoughtfully*
I wonder what his initials are.
Naryu Elda
Crowned Gamer
Crowned Gamer

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cloning would probably be tempting, but I don't know whether anyone would approve. IDR creates life which had never existed before. Cloning would take someone/thing that already is. I doubt they'd go for it.

And I bet you Professor's initials are not C.G. or G.C.
Skybait J
Consistent Gamer
Consistent Gamer

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could create an exact replica of a person if they wanted to, there's nothing stopping that. It's almost the exact same thing, except the fact that they don't know what'll happen. The technology is new, and still being experimented with. What if there's a fatal error that made the things realized dissappear after a year or when they touch water or something? They're still in the data collection stage, and they can't do anything else until they know that what's being created is perfectly safe.

That's why video game charactors are the perfect experiment. Not only would they be impossible to fake, but since they have a sentinent mind, we can ask them how they feel and conduct experiments accordingly. You couldn't ask a tomato if anythings wrong when you zap it. Even though it's supposed to act like a tomato, how would we know it's really real until too late? And if you went right ahead and created raw matirials or food or medicine, and there was something wrong with them, you'd be accountable for it, possibly killing people!
Koji_Tsunami
Class Gamer
Class Gamer

Location: At the computer. Where else could I post on an online forum, a skatepark?

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, It's possible that Cap just forgot to mention that little bit where the IDR asked this-that-or-the-other company to use their characters, which said company gladly gave permission. (Think of the publicity!) this is all speculation, but it makes perfect sense to me. Oh and Skybait, you're spelling "character" wrong.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    gamerhang.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Captain Gamer All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: